[pct-l] Mt. Bikes on the trail

Lars Nilsson lars at standardarmament.com
Wed Oct 17 16:39:56 CDT 2007

Someday there is going to be an amendment to the Wilderness Act that
could be wide enough to drive a Mack Truck through.  Someone is going to
sue for access to wilderness areas using some form of wheeled vehicle
because of the Americans with Disabilities Act.  Some judge will rule in
that plaintiff's favor, and voila, motorized wheel chairs will be
permitted.  Of course they will have to be modified to travel further
than a battery will allow and to traverse rough terrain (wheelchair
mounted on a Jeep chassis, capable of the Rubicon Trail).

Rubbish?  Tell that to various places that now have to allow for more
than the seeing-eye dog - they have to accommodate companion animals
some doctor has prescribed to some emotional/mental need of that
animal's human companion.

For the record, I am not advocating unregulated access by Humvee's or
bicycles.  I just think that sometimes if we in the hiking community are
seen as being too strident and unyielding we might find ourselves being
run over by those more vocal and with more access ($$$) with law makers.
And at the pace I hike, I'll probably be the first speed bump.

Lars Nilsson

TrailSnail

  _____