[pct-l] Buying Shoes Along the Trail

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Oct 20 23:28:09 CDT 2007

Good evening,

I can't overemphasize how important adequate shoe width is to me.  In street
shoes I normally wear a size 10D, but as I hiked more in training I had to
go to size 11E to avoid pain between the bones in the balls of my feet.
With more training I went to 12EE.  With still more training, and for PCT
hiking, I'm only comfortable with 12EEEE.

Finding the correct width is a bit of a black art:  There are several shoe
size standards, using different formulae or algorithms.  These various
methods result in merely a foot bed width, while what is really needed is an
indication of the foot circumference as well.  The design of a shoe can
result in differing circumferences with the same flat width.  Some
manufacturers don't seem to subscribe to the common standards, and even if
they do, do they inspect them, and what production tolerances do they use?

I have never taken a brand new pair of shoes on the trail.  I must wear a
new pair for several hundred miles in training before I'm confident the size
is OK.  I may risk wearing another pair of that exact model and size, but
often the model has changed before I need another pair.

Women who need wide shoes are fortunate that men's shoes of a certain length
are wider than women's shoes of that same length, and it is often easier to
find a good selection of men's shoes from which to choose.

Steel-Eye