[pct-l] FW: Nikon D40X

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 24 22:28:31 CDT 2007

Ollen wrote:

I have purchased for this trip a Kata T-214
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/426301-REG/Kata_KTT214_T_214_Torso_Pack.html)
and plan to carry it forward, on my chest.

Yeah, that looks like it would work well enough if you don't mind having it on your chest all day long.  I suspect it would bounce a bit at a brisk pace.  For me personally, I think it would interfere with my movement and noticeably reduce my daily mileage.  Sometimes I'm ok with that, and sometimes I'm not.

Like I said in my other post, I find I have to decide what my trip is all about and make gear choices appropriately.  If your trip is about photography and you don't have a firm deadline or destination, then I think the Kata would be a great piece of gear.  But if the nature of your trip is that you've got to do 20+ miles a day to get somewhere on time, then personally I'd skip it.

Bob wasn't real specific about what kind of trip he's planning for '08, but I assume it's a thru-hike.  If so, then he's got to decide whether he wants to optimize for the best chance of making it to Canada and letting the photography take care of itself, or optimize for great photography and let Canada take care of itself.

Eric