[pct-l] girls hiking

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 12:50:32 CDT 2007

Meagan-  Here's my 2 cents.....

Historically the PCT is safer to hike than the AT.  Still a few precautions can help your chances of avoiding problems:

-Wear a wedding ring and claim that your husband is hiking with a group "just behind you" if you are suspcious of a stranger on the trail.....or in town!!

- Never tell a stranger how long you are hiking or where you plan on camping.

- If you come to a road crossing and hear or see a car near the trailhead, hold back on the trail until it passes.

I took all these precautions when I hiked the AT alone in '91 and still had a VERY scary human encounter.  But my ring and story helped in a big way, I believe.  That, and the grace of God!!

Here's another one we didn't have in '91:

- Carry your cell phone!  Keep it handy but hidden!

Hope this helps!  Have a wonderful hike and don't let fear keep you home!

Gail aka "Wheeew"

Meagan Roberge <meagan.roberge at gmail.com> wrote: I am sure that this gets asked all the time.  I have done a search but haven't been able to find anything so here I am asking everyone here.  I am a 28 year old female in good shape.  I am preparing to hike part of the trail next summer over 6 weeks.  How safe is it for me to be on the trail by myself?  I am guessing that it is no more dangerous to hike by yourself than it is to travel in the US by yourself.  I mostly concerned about sleeping in a tent rather than in a car or hostel.

 meags

http://mail.yahoo.com