[pct-l] New Tarptent

cvano at tmail.com cvano at tmail.com
Sat Oct 27 22:51:30 CDT 2007

I didn't get to go hiking today as expected and won't tomorrow either.
Chores and life got in the way.  I hate when that happens.

So I set up my new Rainbow Tarptent on the dock today (remember, I live
on a boat.)  Its freestanding with trekking poles which I do use so the
concrete dock was not a problem except that it is broom finished for
traction.  I didn't crawl inside.

The tent went up quick with no problems, even given that it was the
first time.  Pleanty big enough for me (210#, 6'1") and possibly a close
friend, but the vestabule is way too small for my big external frame
pack.  It is pleanty big enough for my size 13 boots and a few other
things though and has pleanty of headroom which is most important to
me.  The gear pocket is the perfect size for my glasses but they did not
install a second one, nor was I charged for it.  Upon inspecting the
tent, I'm glad they omitted it.  There are 4 clips inside (2 on the
ridge and one about half way up at either end) that will hold
clotheslines, flashlights or small bags which are fine for any other
small gear that I may wish to have handy at night and not share my bed
with.

There is a grommet outside the bug net and under the beak on each side.
Wonder what they're for...  I did get a lot of funny looks from yachty
weekenders until I explained that it was a 'Mother-in-Law Apartment!'
This tent is bigger, lighter and has more headroom than my last, an REI
Sololite.  Also it doesn't need a lot of stakes like that one did,
speaking of which, these stakes are really light weight and hi tech
looking.  I didn't try to pound them into the concrete though.

My one concern is the floor.  Even when the corners are secured to the
trekking poles and it is clipped up, the tent is not closed.  Pleanty of
ventalization obviously but I'm wondering (1) about cold wind and (2)
about blowing rain with my down bag.  All of the reviews addressed these
concerns to my satisfaction so will just have to wait and see.

Anyway, Kudos to Henry Shires (no he's not paying me for this) for
developing a lightweight affordable shelter that will doubtlessly serve
my needs.

Beyond this point
There be dragons...

Chris ~ S/V Drifter