[pct-l] First Post on Forum and Gear ?'s

Home jeffreyn at sonic.net
Sun Oct 28 22:24:33 CDT 2007

Welcome, Sven.

I can't comment about the specific pack or pants (just think weight,
weight, weight).  But when I saw the third item, my reaction was
immediate:  Are you sure you want a GPS?  The trail is almost a
"wilderness freeway" most of the way, and the rest of the way a compass
and map should be fine.  You'll burn a ton of batteries doing a track, and
while I've found a GPS useful for finding obscure bear boxes most of them
are so obvious you'll trip over them in the dark.  Of course, if you want
to know exactly how far away is La Crosse at any given time, a GPS is the
way to go.

Again, I always come back to the weight issue.  I struggle to keep my base
below 13#, but others here mentioned a base weight pared down to single
digits by the time the Canadian border came into view.

Good luck with the planning.  The trip won't go at all the way you planned
it, but as others here recently noted, the planning is still a necessary
antecedent to success.  Have a fabulous trek.

--
I went home with the waitress
The way I always do

I was gambling in Havana