[pct-l] First Post on Forum and Gear ?'s

Postholer public at postholer.com
Sun Oct 28 23:29:16 CDT 2007

Hey Sven,

> Does anyone have any first-hand experience using Arc'Teryx Naos backpacks?
No first hand experience with that pack. But, I did google it. The weight
for the regular is 4.6 lbs. That leads to a question, what is the combined
weight of your pack, tent and sleeping bag? Given how early your hike is in
the planning stage, maybe some consideration in getting your gear weight
down? And Christmas is coming up....

> How about RailRider WeatherPants....are they overrated/overpriced?
My personal preference in rain gear is a poncho, highly breathable. Any type
of water proof rain gear will be like wrapping yourself in a plastic bag,
even a poncho, you'll sweat in it and get soggy anyways. So think
breathable. Test it before you go.

> DeLorme's Earthmate PN-20 GPS?
GPS's are just too cool and what a way to document your trip! I highly
recommend one just for the geek factor involved. However, as far as a
navigational aid, you won't need it at all on the PCT, UNLESS, you plan on
hiking through, lots of snow. Carry a compass, the guidebook maps and know
how to use them.

Have fun with your planning!
Scott