[pct-l] Hiking Alone

Judith G twolegs at roadrunner.com
Wed Oct 31 13:48:00 CDT 2007

> Although I too wear a ring on my left hand

I actually take my wedding ring off and leave it home when I hike
(although I carry an inexpensive band to wear in towns, more out of
loyalty to my long-suffering husband than for "cover").  My real ring
is a little tight and my concern is being unable to get it off if I
break my arm and my hand swells.  Or (gasp) experience snakebite.  Of
course, as a bona fide "old gal" I don't have the worries younger
women have about the intentions of strange men (!!!).  I have had
only good experiences hitch-hiking to a resupply, but I am, I hope,
suitably cautious about it.  My greatest concern while hiking alone
is injury or illness.  Maintaining wilderness first responder
certification has been both useful in preparing, and in preventing,
situations, and has given me a certain level of confidence about
handling emergencies.  I recommend wilderness medical training to any
hiker, particularly solo hikers.

Women I converse with who don't hike always ask if it doesn't bother
me to hike alone ... don't I miss having company?  Many of these
ladies admit they can't imagine doing ANYTHING alone!  Guess I'm one
of the rare ones who loves solitude.  I enjoy company on the trail
"when it happens" but don't usually seek it out.  As a section hiker,
I'm often doing a bit of trail outside the "thru-hiker season" and I
only run into occasional other section hikers or locals.  I go days
at a time seeing no one.  So when I get to camp or hike a short while
with someone else, it's a treat.

> I too use a tent. My intellect tells me it is ridiculous to think a
> tent offers any kind of safety; emotionally I won't go without my
> tent and love using it. (Sorry guys I guess a woman's thing -sorry
> to women who don't feel the same- it feels like I'm playing house
> and helps me feel safer.

Well, I'm one of the women who doesn't feel the same, but no need to
be sorry.  I feel claustrophobic in a tent and I always cowboy camp,
weather permitting.  I do carry a SpinnShelter (about 8 ounces) to
use in wet weather, and it works very well for me.  Since I rarely
use it, I don't want to carry something heavier that just sits in the
pack 99 percent of the time.  Plus I get plenty of chance to play
house when I'm home ...

JoAnn, I think I met you at Crater Lake in late July '05 ... I camped
at Mazama with Alice Tulloch, who was waiting for No Way ... was that
you?

Two Legs