[pct-l] RECORD SECTION HIKES

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 3 13:00:22 CDT 2007

I would agree that if you don't want anyone to know where you've been or are, you shouldn't sign a register.  Most sign to say, "Hey, I was here."  Or they want their hiker friends behind them to get a message.

That said, I honestly believe that most hikers are entirely unaware that there are those who want to piece together a record of their progress from their register signings and make comparisons about fastest, slowest, oldest, skippers, etc., like it truly is a horse race.

I also believe that if hikers knew this type of register information gathering effort were underway, many would avoid signing the registers outright, thereby impacting an important way the hikers communicate with each other on the trail.

I know this will be an unpopular comment (hey, I'm Lightening Rod for good reason) but I'll take it a step further and state that I don't believe that telling everyone on the post that you saw hikers at a specific location is anyone's business either, unless the hiker said it was okay to do so.  I know that no one means any harm by doing this, and they are just excited to see the hikers, but it's still an invasion of privacy.

It's bad enough Big Brother tracks our moves in life -- we shouldn't be doing it to each other.

L-Rod