[pct-l] Empty Water Caches All Over So Cal.

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:45:53 CDT 2007

My friend has been trail running the PCT, for his upcoming race. He has been running sections all over So Cal., like he has done so many times before. The only difference this year are the empty water bottles and trash related to caches, left for everyone's enjoyment. He said, "the ones that were close enough to retrieve he went back to clean them up", but in some areas it is simply a shame. Usually it is us hikers, who complain about the racers ribbons that get left behind. But this year the talk will be different.

I myself departed late in May from Campo. I had the pleasure to witness ALL of the random caches, throughout  So Cal. Some actually were in styro-foam coolers that were broken up and spread out by the wind. Others had become trash piles for the few thoughtless people who came upon them.

I hiked the entire trail, only relying on reliable sources. I admit I did top off on these sources, but I also kept them organized and clean. But I will also say I could of hiked the entire trail without any caches. I knew then as I know now, that some of the people who left some of these caches, would not return to clean up the mess. One in particular had a sign on it and I DO remember the name of the person who was leaving these caches, "When you empty the bottle take it with you" was on the sign. So every bottle had about a 1/2 inch of water in it. Lets face it, when most people are 50 or more miles from a trashcan, the last thing they want to do is put that bottle[s] in their pack and carry it out. It sounds crazy and there are those who do clean up after us, but the proof was right there.

I believe that if you do not maintain your cache you are degrading our wilderness, and only creating a pile of trash for others to enjoy. A act of kindness, should be thoughtful to all.

Ps. Do not get rid of the oasis, I love a beer and a lawn chair about the time I reach that spot! + they take out the trash...............tattoo joe