[pct-l] Cell Phones etc.

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Tue Sep 11 10:38:22 CDT 2007

I carry a "Solio" (http://www.solio.com/v2/ ) which I mainly use to
recharge my Sirius Satellite "Stiletto" radio. It can also charge my
cell phone, though I've never had the need (I carry it, but keep it
turned off). I carry a cell phone, satellite radio, GPS and digital
camera.
If necessary, I can recharge all the above with the Solio. But since the
cell phone is for emergency use only and I keep it turned off, its
internal battery keeps a charge as long as it isn't exposed to low temps
for very long. I use the radio often. Satellite reception is available
in all the most remote locations I've been in. My GPS uses AAA
batteries, but I'd rather carry the extra batteries than a rechargeable
setup on short trips. My camera has a rechargeable battery, but I've yet
to run it completely down on a trip, so I don't carry its charger
either.
I charge my Solio before each trip by plugging it into a wall outlet. To
fully charge from solar energy, it takes about 6-8 hours. It's small
enough that I can tie it to the top of my pack and hike with it "open"
all day. I then plug it into my radio when I sleep and let it recharge
during the night.

There are solar chargers out there that recharge faster than the Solio,
but they are larger, heavier and the panels are bulky. You'd have to
drape it over your pack to use while walking, or set it up and sit tight
for a few hours.

Michael  Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE & Partners, Inc. | Architecture + Planning + Interiors
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.3388 | www.mve-architects.com