[pct-l] Giardia

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Sep 14 14:36:08 CDT 2007

It seems that Giardia has become the term amongst hikers for "the trots", like Kleenex has become the commonly used name for facial tissues as Xerox has for copies.  Regardless of what actually causes the stomach distress (giardia, crypto, poor hygene, old/bad food, poor food handling, flu, etc.), the end result seems the same:  dehydration, physical weakness, loss of appetite, and weight loss.  Sadly hikers get too weak to continue on with the high demands of long distance hiking.  It's always sad to hear that something like that ends a hike and cuts short a dream.

L-Rod