[pct-l] GIARDIA

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 17:09:02 CDT 2007

I do not treat anything, anywhere on the PCT or in the Sierra's. I carry antibiotics on me, for I believe a gram of cure is better than ounces of prevention. When filtering, you take out many minerals, and adding chemicals is bad for you, period. The steripen and other water purifiers of this nature, are not going to get the water on the rim of your container as well as the water you wash with. I believe that most people who get sick on the trail, do not really know how they contacted their illness. I can name quite a few people who have done over 10,000 miles on the PCT, and do not treat any water.

I believe if you keep yourself clean and do not shake hands with the hundreds of people over the summer, that you most likely will not get sick. I would also try to retrieve water from springs, and higher sources, as well as above the trail, not below the trail, where everyone has cleaned themselves off. The less contack you have with others is the very best prevention.
                        Tattoo-joe