[pct-l] Purell and Giardia

Liz Mares azlazorra1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 20:35:19 CDT 2007

As a nurse, I have to take issue with Sean's statement that an antibacterial solution cannot create a superbug.  There has been alot of debate ongoing regarding this very issue.  You can google "dangers of antibacterial soap" and find a whole lot of information, for example from this site, http://www.life.ca/nl/107/soap.html.  The cleansing soap and the antibacterial soap that they use at the hospital where I work are so destructive to my hands, that I was advised by the employee health nurse to bring in my own soap from home!   Frequent use of antibacterial soap can cause cracking and drying which are great reservoirs for bacterial and fungal infections.  Besides, to build a strong immune system you need contact with bacteria, both good and bad!

  I remember reading Roland Mueser book, "Long-Distance Hiking, Lessons from the Appalachian Trail", c 1998,  in which he talked about Giardia.  My impression was that the most Giardia was reported in hikers who used filters over hikers who drank freely from the water sources untreated.  Why?  Perhaps they weren't careful about their water sources.  In the past, I have used filters or just drank liberally straight from good water sources.  This year I used a Sawyer in-line filter that I learned about from the ADZPCTKO, or drank straight from sources I determined were good.  The worst water I ever drank came from a cow pond on the Arizora trail.  It was concentrated goop, 2-3 inches of brown junk.  It was the only water in many, many miles.  I let it sit overnight and then filtered it through a bandana.  Then I refiltered it with my water filter.  Tang hid the tea color. ;-)  I probably narrowly missed getting Hepatitis from it, not to mention Giardia!  I'm happy to report
 that I've never gotten ill from any water in the backcountry.

  Even though I work in an Allopathic environment, I am more Holistic/Alternative in my views.  It has been my experience that the more you fear something, the more you attract it.  I believe also, that the mind is the most powerful influence we have on our health and the more you tell yourself positive thoughts, ie, "I am healthy", "This is good for me", etc., the more strongly will these concepts take hold.  I just ran across some interesting Russian research this morning that has a bearing on this...

  Some recent Russian DNA discoveries documented by Grazyna Fosar and Franz Bludorf in their book Vernetzte Intelligenz have been summarised by Baerbel. ‘The human DNA is a biological Internet’ with evidence that DNA can be ‘influenced and reprogrammed by words and frequencies.’ This suggests that ‘our DNA is not only responsible for the construction of our body, but also serves as data storage and communication.’ The Russian scientists and linguists have found that the genetic code ‘follows the same rules as all our human languages.’ In effect, human language did not appear coincidentally but is a reflection of our DNA.

  (Did you catch that?..."Our DNA can be influenced and reprogrammed by WORDS and frequencies.")

  So, my advice would be not to worry about catching Giardia but do use good handwashing technique in the back country.  What do I use?  I like Dr. Bonner's Peppermint soap.  For work (because I wash my hands so frequently), I use Dr. Bonner's Unscented Baby-Mild Soap with pure Lemon and Lavender oils to kill the germs.

  May good health be with you, La Zorra

Sean Nordeen <sean at lifesadventures.net> wrote:
  Purell's Active incredient is alcohol not an antibiotic so it's use is not going to create a resistant superbug. Also, as you rub your hands, it evaporates so I wouldn't worry about the effect on the local environment.

My concern about these Giardia debates is taking either extreme position. Saying that all water in the backcountry has it is wrong. Saying that it doesn't exist at all is wrong. As an example, last year in the San Jacinto State park in long valley there is a spring fed pipe. Some people have been drinking out of that pipe untreated for 20+years. However, there was a "confirmed" case of Giardia from it last year. Looking into it, I found out that pipe is fed from a catch tank that occasionally when the rangers clean it out, they find dead rats floating in it. Anyone who has hiked the pristine Sierras for long has seen packhorses unloading themselves in the middle of a ford. I feel sorry for the hiker who comes along a few minutes latter and drinks up just downstream. Know your risks and be willing to pay the penalty if you are wrong. But as stated, practice good hygeine and be selective in the water you drink and your risks are probably small.

That said, someone I know who was a missionary to India for awhile talked about the advice he was given by his doctor. Most GI tracts have a 80% good to 20% bad bacteria balance. Anti-biotics can mess that ratio up as both types rush to recolonize the tract. He was told to take probiotic "good bacteria" supplements as a way of not allowing a place for bad bacteria to gain a foothold on his trip. He was the only member of his team to return after 6 months who did not get dysentery of some sort from drinking the local water. He attributes his higher resistance to those supplements and the yogurt that he ate liberally.

-Sean

>Before I go off trail to do my business, I set out my soap and water
>at a convenient spot, like on a rock. Then when I come back I can
>quickly wash my hands without pawing thru lots of stuff in my pack.

>I am reluctant to be constantly using disinfectants both because of
>their potential to disrupt local microbial environment as well as
>maybe leading to disinfectant resistant germs.
>
>Tortoise
unsubscribe or change options: