[pct-l] Giardia

carl myhill carl at litsl.com
Sat Sep 15 16:53:03 CDT 2007

32 miles from White Pass I got pretty bad diarrhea. So bad, in fact, that I
couldn't drink fluids without them making a very rapid exit. I was pretty
scared being so far from a road, and the wrong side of Knife Edge. While I
felt OK I made miles. Being sick reduced the mileage I could do to the point
where I would run out of food if I was too slack. What's more, 32 miles
without fluid is a LONG WAY.

I made 6 miles and was very pleased to catch OJ and Ricola. The latter had
immodium which I think saved me, certainly the squits stopped and I could
drink again, just a little. I hiked on a bit delirious and then slept for an
hour or so. Luckily I did Knife Edge at the end of the day so the adrenalin
carried me across that. In the end I made 20 miles.

I arrived in Packwood on Friday. No internet there on Friday or Saturday. I
watched TV for a couple of days. Ate 15 doughnuts, 2 huge pots of yogurt and
all kinds of junk. Whatever I ate make me BLOAT hugely. When I went for a
little walk I felt pretty sick.

I had heard a lot of rumours about Giardia and was quite worried. I thought
I should hitch to a clinic or go and gets some drugs from Urgent Care. I
didnt want to be irresponsible and hike out already unfit.

When I finally got onto the internet on Sunday I read up on Giardia. I read
various things including:
- avoid simple sugars
- reduce milk intake (yogurt seemed ok and I fancied the extra GOOD bacteria
in my gut)
- giardia is self limiting and usually goes away by itself
- incubation is about 8 days (I would have been in the UK if that were true)

I felt better on Monday and also bumped into TeaTree and NAFTA, which
cheered me up. I hiked out Tuesday and felt fine.

I don't know if I had Giardia or not but I was pretty unwell.

What I learned:
1. CARRY IMMODIUM (My first aid kit has little wipes for when you get stung
by an insect - cursing works fine for that!!! When I cant hold any fluid, I
cannot curse my way out of it!!!!)
2. These things often sort themselves out

I feel fine now, just a week later (though am somewhat sulphurous smelling
at times I'm afraid)

Litsl