[pct-l] Dangerous ford near Lava Spring (40 miles south of White Pass) puts at least 2 thru hikers off the trail

carl myhill carl at litsl.com
Sat Sep 15 22:16:17 CDT 2007

There is a small muddy ford with a log across it just south of Lava Spring
(South of Goat Rocks). It looks a bit sketchy. As you cross it, if you have
poles you will notice they go very deep, which puts you off balance. It's
not easy and the alternative is a thigh-deep ford.

I'm sorry to spread around other people's business but I heard Ladybug broke
her ankle at this ford just before I got there (that would be late last
week). I was talking to Amtrak today and he too sprained his ankle there and
is now off the trail.

I don't know if the PCT Organization can do anything about things like this
but it is clearly dangerous. I thought it worth posting here as a bit of a
warning. This is passable by all means but be careful and be aware that at
least 2 thru-hikers have been cut short here.

Carl