[pct-l] PCT Graffiti - draw your own conclusions

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Sat Sep 15 22:58:53 CDT 2007

Carl,

What is your point exactly?  Sure, your picture would suggest that someone by the name of Hammer had done this, however, trailnames are not exclusive property.  It would not surprise me if there were more than one thru-hiker, section hiker, or weekend/day hiker that goes by the name of Hammer.  To suggest that it is the thru-hiker that has a trail journal on-line at Trailjournals.com is simply ridiculous and very irresponsible.

And by the way, I still disagree wholeheartedly with you that any of the graffitti that you pesonally found to be helpful along the trail is appropriate.  I thru-hiked the trail last year and found this so-called helpful add-on signage to be an eye-sore.  It doesn't surprise me that once someone "tagged" the official signage with what they felt was helpful graffitti that someone else would come along and add-on their own additions.

On a slightly different bent, this past wee I found several notes left on the trail while doing the South Lake to North Lake loop hike out of Bishop, CA.  The notes were left by hikers to advise their friends (whom they thought were behind them) that they had already passed through.  Unfortunately, the authors of these notes were mistaken as their friends were actually ahead of them much of the way and their friends never found these notes and therefore the notes remained out on the trail.  While someone thought they were being helpful, they were simply trashing the trail.

Jeff

From: "carl myhill" <carl at litsl.com>