[pct-l] 8 cy VS 4 cy and seeing the light

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Wed Sep 19 13:13:29 CDT 2007

Tortoise wrote:

>Maybe, just maybe, one of us
> slow one will show you the pictures of all that you've missed in your haste

It appears that you think that simply because one walks the trail faster than you that one is going to see less than you.  I think Tattoo Joe recently shared some great insight with regards to the benefits those thru-hikers that hike faster have.

While I averaged nearly 34 miles a day between Castella and Manning last year, I really didn't consider that my pace was fast by any means.  I typically started no earlier than 6:00 a.m. and would only hike until 7:00 p.m.  I stopped for breafast/lunch/dinner and still had time to take hundreds of photos.  I am blessed with a long gait/stride, but I would never have considered this speed hiking, nor would I consider that I missed more than someone going at a lesser pace.  Frankly, my pace allowed me to see so much more as I wasn't forced to trudge through the incredibly beautiful north sections of the PCT in inclimate weather as some people do in order to complete their thru-hikes.

I may never understand why you feel a need to suggest that we are missing something by hiking at a faster clip.

Jeff

From: Tortoise <Tortoise73 at charter.net>