[pct-l] 8 cy VS 4 cy and seeing the light

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Sep 20 07:33:37 CDT 2007

TORTOISE,
You seem to be under the impression that speed hikers plow down the trail
like a bulldozer, in a cloud of dust, oblivious of the surrounding scenery.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
On my speed hikes, because I travel ultra-light and solo, I move swiftly &
silently
and therefore, like Joe confirms, see more wild life and take in much more
scenery
within a given period of time making the hike much more panoramic &
spectacular.
Starting early, hiking late and managing your down time may do more to
increase
your milage than a faster pace and ''seeing the light'' to go ultra-light is
probably the
most critical factor to fast packing or speed hiking.

Once you see the light Tortoise you will never go back to your old
ways....it's
much easier on your body, you see more scenery and you enjoy the hike more.
Besides, there is much satisfaction in challenging your body and then
meeting
that challenge.

I often ask myself why is it that some folks can't understan speed hikin?
That takes you back to the turtle vs the rabbit argument.

Given the choice, I would always preferr to be the rabbit.

I ask you Tortoise, do you really belief that the tortoise or the turtle,
lumbering
down the trail with their heavy loads enjoy their journy more than the
ult-light
rabbit scipping along the trail?

JMT Reinhold
The rabbit

Tortoise wrote:   I'll never understand why anybody wants to set a speed
record on
the PCT, JMT, or any other trail.....mabe, just maybe, one of us slow ones
will show
you the pictures of all that you missed in your haste.