[pct-l] ice axe in Sierras in early Oct

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Thu Sep 20 08:09:58 CDT 2007

On trail, only twice have I used my ice axe to cut steps, and that was
for the benefit of those behind and not myself. IMO the best use of an
ice axe is to prevent yourself from sliding down a snow slope and dying
on the rocks below.

Hiking up Baden Powell in May 2005 the very soft slushy snow under my
feet suddenly collapsed. I plunged the shaft of my ice axe straight down
and hung on with both hands until I could kick a place to put my feet
again. It wasn't a classical self-arrest but it prevent me from sliding
a short distance and having to climb back up again.

AsABat