[pct-l] crocs are heavy....

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Tue Apr 1 14:50:25 CDT 2008

I will join in the fray here on the side of the hikers who feel that
camp shoes are extra weight you don't need to carry.  The best solution
IMHO is to leave them at home.  If you're hiking in trail running shoes,
those make nice lightweight camp shoes.   I usually walk around camp
with the shoes unlaced, the lace ends tucked underneath the liners.  Or
take the liners out.  Or go barefoot.  Lots of places where I camp, you
can go barefoot.

If you must take separate camp shoes go for the lightest you can
find--no more than two or three ounces each.  If you're in camp and the
terrain demands something more substantial than the superlightweight
camp shoes you brought, just put on your trail shoes.

Trail shoes of today were the camp shoes of yesteryear (20 or 30 years
ago, hikers wore heavy boots and sometimes carried running shoes for use
around camp), so why not just use them as such and save the weight and
hassle of carrying another pair of whatever?

Greg