[pct-l] the great campshoe debate

Arno Holschuh affenmensch at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:15:11 CDT 2008

My two cents are as follows:
No matter how well-thought out your campshoe choice, you will probably chuck them by the Saufleys'. Remember, for ill or good, most hikers end up streamlining their packs and sawing the handles off their toothbrushes. And 13 ounces, even 8 ounces, is a lot of toothbrush handles and extra ice-ax loops.
Don't sweat it. I have finally reached the non-sweat point on my gear (as in:  Well, dangit, it'll just have to work, or I'll figure out something else). Yogi's advice is, on this point, sounding pretty sage: Buy a good bag, shelter, and pack, ones that suit your taste. Thenb don't worry so much. This approach is being so so relieving.
And remember that there are outfitters along the trail, notably in Idylwild.
Arno