[pct-l] crocs are heavy....

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Apr 1 16:22:46 CDT 2008

On Apr 1, 2008, at 12:52 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Why is everyone fixated on having ankle protection for camp shoes? I
> understand the need for an ankle strap/ankle protection on regular
> footwear but if it's just a camp shoe, or a shoe for around town,
> flip-
> flop sandals seem like the best choice.

In Nepal, the porters carrying 100s of lbs on their heads all wore
cheap plastic flip-flops. They wore them carrying heavy loads on
steep and rocky terrain and in extremely cold weather at high altitudes.

I plan to bring Chacos myself. I know it is extra weight but I may
need to wear them part of the hiking time, not just for around camp.
I may send my shoes home if I wear them enough.