[pct-l] Route 74 Socal

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Wed Apr 2 19:32:34 CDT 2008

Known also as the Palms to Pines Highway. I doubt most cell providers will
work there.  Traffic is modest but can be friendly.  A short walk (about a
mile) west will take you to the intersection of 371 and 74.  There is a
restaurant their, a pay phone, and a hose.  The folks are hiker friendly so
even after hours if clean up after yourself, use the picnic tables on the
west side and are generally respectful, you can use their hose or even
stealth camp a 100 yards or more behind the building.   Along that section
of road from PCT to the restaurant is a trail running parallel to the road
so you can stay off the highway if you prefer.   For hitching into
Idyllwild, this is often a better place since you get the autos coming up
371 and turning left onto 74 too.  In addition, being a one way stop,
drivers are more likely to see you and pull over.