[pct-l] Longest dry stretches

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 09:30:47 CDT 2008

Hat Creek Rim would be right up there as AsABat sez...except for
Caches 22 and 44, and the hose at the Baum Lake/Crystal Springs Fish
Hatchery.  Cache 44 is located between the Overlook at the top of the
Rim just off Hwy 44 and the Trailhead there.  Cache 22 is about 14
miles north where the trail crosses Road 22.  The fish hatchery is
roughly another 14 or so miles past Cache.22, I think.  Past hikers
could be more specific...it may be longer than that.  After that,
there's really nothing til you get to Burney Falls St. Park, another
14 to 16 miles further north.  Dennis and I stock Cache 44, it's a
small cache, meant as a top off after nobos fill up at Subway Cave on
their way up to the top of the Rim.  One time last summer, someone
dumped and took everything away, but we were notified by a hiker with
a cellphone and we restocked right away.  It's never been bothered at
it's current location before or since.  It's dependable...So is Cache
22.  It's huge, with a sign-in log that Stan who stocks the Cache
loves to read.  The log gets stolen on a regular basis (twice last
year) which really ticks me off.  This guy has the full use of only
one hand, and it's a real struggle to fill that cache.  He leaves
sodas, beer and fresh fruit on a regular basis.  Hikers can reach us
from cellphones from the cache and let us know the status of the water
there and we notify Stan, who gets right out there when it gets below
about 15 gallons.  Water is stored in gallon jugs and then in ice
chests or plastic garbage cans to keep critters from getting into it.
The garbage cans are for WATER, not for garbage.  Please don't make
him haul your trash away.  Good camping across the road and into the
trees...stealthily, please, that dirt road has a lovers lane not too
far from the cache.
The fish hatchery's hose is attached to a one of two buildings that
are there and is RED.
Folks staying at the Hideaway in Old Station will get an update with a
map of the hatchery's hose location along with breakfast.  Dennie and
I will look forward to helping all hikers any way we can.  Yogi's
Handbook may not have my new email address...  bobbnweav at gmail.com.
Every business and most everyone else knows who we are and what we do,
and will help you get to our place.  The Post Office and Hat Creek
Store, etc. will phone us.  We'll get your packages from the P.O. with
an advance request, keep your car or bike or whatever, etc.  Read
about the Heitman's Hideaway in Yogi's.  Then come see us.
FireFly