[pct-l] [PCT-I] Closure

sean bowers pro_style18 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 13:26:50 CDT 2008

Keep in mind every foot is different.  You can have an inflexible big toe and be just fine.  For example, an overweight adult could say they were diagnosed with diabetes due to being overweight.   Does this mean every overweight person is going to get diabetes?  Definitely not.  That is just the way the human body works and that can go for any body part for any reason.     For my particular situation, this appeared to be the problem with my case.

"When you grab your big toe you are suppose to be able to bend it

 upwards

towards your head more than 90 degrees.  I painfully can bend it just

 shy of

45 degrees"

I think I can at least somewhat guess what you went through based on my

 own

related emotional roller coaster recently.

After (hopefully) figuring out how to deal with little toe bunions last

summer, I had some heel pain recently and was diagnosed with Plantar

Fasciitis just over a month ago. I got fitted for orthotics and am just

starting to extend my walking regime again.  And I'll start at Campo

 late

this month.

I've not heard the one about bending your big toe before.  Since there

 are

various intervening joints (hip, knee, ankle), I'm finding your

 description

above a little ambiguous.  Is the foot flat on the floor and thus

 bending

the big toe more than 90 degrees relative to the floor, or ... ?

Just curious.  My case has been mild so far, but I'm naturally

 concerned

that one or another foot issue will force me off the trail in the same

 way.

I'm not concerned about mental/emotional prep here --- what happens

 happens,

and I'll just have to deal with it.  But if there's anything else I can

physically or otherwise better prepare for, I want to maximize my odds.

Thanks for sharing your (no doubt very frustrating) story.