[pct-l] Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney Portal

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Thu Apr 3 14:42:14 CDT 2008

I have been over all three passes, but it was a while ago. Trail Pass
has the least elevation gain and the gentlest slope, and probably the
shortest mileage to the PCT. The trailhead for Trail and Cottonwood
passes is the same and Trail Pass is further south. Therefore, the
mileage to Whitney Portal is longer. Cottonwood Pass would be shorter
and preferable, as it is really  not a difficult ascent. The New Army
Pass trailhead is slightly lower on the road and  the pass itself has
more elevation gain and if you are planning to go via the PCT, the
mileage will be higher even though you meet the PCT  north of
Cottonwood.  You may be able to go cross-country from New Army Pass
via Mt. Langley or somewhere near it but I am unfamiliar with that possibility.
One tip about camping: Rock Creek, at the backcountry ranger station,
can be very buggy, but it is a very pretty spot.

Pieces