[pct-l] Platypus in the desert?

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 22:33:20 CDT 2008

I carry more than one Platypus and one or two small one pint water
bottles(Like the ones you buy water in).
I get leaks on Occasion from the Platypus.  Always on a seam toward the top,
except this last one.  Monday night.
Pin hole.  I've been around cactus, off trail, a lot the last couple of
years................. maybe that's it.  I don't know.

The Platypus leaked in my pack.  Wet midweight long sleeve.  Slept without
it.  (March 31.  About PCT mile 23 between Lake Morena and Boulder Oaks
Campground)  Hung the shirt up over a bush.  Frost on my bag.  Ice in my
water bottles.  I froze all night..
My shirt was frozen solid (and my shoes) in the Morning.  It's too cold at
night and too early for me to hike!!!!!
I did see a hard core on March 22 (hiker name L-Something) at 6am pushing
through Barrel Springs in Section A.  I hate to be outdone by a girl.

I just got a Platypus replaced that probably had 3000 miles on it.  Came in
the mail today.  I took out the new one and placed this new leaker in the
same box to ship in for replacement too.  It probably had 3000 or more on it
easy.

Next time though, I'll use a ....................... Platypus.  I get LOTS
of miles on them.  I use a combo of one and two liters.

Suprising, though, those 1 pint bottles you buy water in hold up a long
time.  I don't remember ever having a leaker.
I changed for a new one at 1000 miles last year, but that was just out of
vanity.  It looked really grungy.  I wanted a clean bottle to impress the
girls.
I keep one in my pack.  I keep one easy reach, lower right pack outside
pocket.  Quick draw.  I'm sure I drink more water and more often because or
it.  These two bottles are my primary water source.
I use them to fill my Platypus where dipping is the only method to fill.  At
home, I keep a case around and toss them in my daypack for day hikes.
Weight........ 0.4-0.5 oz average.  My favorite water bottle (in combo with
colapsing Platypus).

For leaving Tehachapi/Mojave/Hwy 58 heading north, I add on a 2 liter, 2 oz
soda pop bottle when needed.  A temporary solution to a temporary problem.
Saftey in long waterless stretches.  If Mary Barcik is still using them at
Kelso Valley Road and her Bird Springs Pass Caches, I know she runs low on
bottles.  If it's in good shape with a cap, TIE it IN so it won't blow it
away, and she'll refill it.

Warner Springs Monty
Pacific Crest Trail 2650 Miles .....Again.....and Again
Sign my Guestbook
www.trailjournals.com/monty