[pct-l] Platypus in the desert?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Apr 4 09:44:39 CDT 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 11:34 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Re: Platypus in the desert?

I have no experience with the Platypus brand, but I have used
Camelback and some other brand I can't recall backpacking in our
local chaparral. These are hikes where I'm crawling on my hands and
knees and horrible scrub oak is clawing at me and tearing my flesh. I
usually have to carry loppers and a saw to get through.

The only problems I have ever had are with the bite valves coming
off, but I notice it immediately and recover the bite valve. If I
lose the bite valve, I carry elastic bands for my hair and can fold
and tie the end.

Still, I always carry spare containers in case they fail and because
it's easier to use a regular bottle to cook and drink around camp.

Diane