[pct-l] FW: [pct-1]Knee Injuries Jim Keener

Mary Davison pastormaryd at msn.com
Fri Apr 4 11:49:50 CDT 2008

  _____

From: Mary Davison [mailto:pastormaryd at msn.com]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 9:38 AM
To: pct-1 at backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-1]Knee Injuries Jim Keener

One also has to beware complications in surgery. I started a hike through
the Sierras last year with 2 undiagnosed meniscus tears which I got while
doing absolutely nothing strenuous, a mis-step on a step not even hiking. I
couldn't believe I had done anything too serious so I put on a brace and
went hiking. (I met L-Rod just south of Sonora Pass on the way from Donnor
Pass to Trail Pass). I went hiking anyway but the alteration of gait caused
by the injury to the right knee and pushing too hard to Tuolumne Meadows
caused a meniscus tear on the left knee. I took three days off and iced and
elevated and even went to the Doc in Mammoth Lakes. They said it was just
overuse and I was doing everything right and I could go on as long as I was
careful and kept track of bail-out points. I finished my planned hike and
loved it!!

Then I went to a Doc at home and got an MRI and discovered what the damage
was. There is a lot of debate whether to bother with an arthroscopy on an
older person (66) but I wanted to do what I could to extend my hiking life
so I went in on December 6 for arthroscopies on both knees. Theoretically
the recovery was supposed to be quite short. All went well with the right
knee that had 2 tears but I won the unlucky lottery and got a staph
infection in the left knee. I was in the hospital for a week and a nursing
home for 3 weeks. When the staph infection is conquered there is a lot more
recovery to go. A Staph infection in the knee sets off a massive
inflammation reaction which takes a good 4 months to go down. And the knee
pain inhibits the function of quads so getting muscles back is a real
challenge too.

I don't think I would have done anything differently than I did but I
contribute this just to illustrate that there are sometimes complications
with surgeries that do interfere with our deepest desires to hike whether we
like it or not. BTW, I am starting out on the PCT at Campo on April 12 but
the hike planned is vastly modified from the one I planned to take and I
don't even know if I will be able to accomplish the modified plan as I am
still recovering. The knee will tell me what I can do and not even true grit
or pain killers will overcome whatever it tells me. It will swell up and
hurt severely if I do too much and require 1-2 days rest to get better at
best. Your body always wins even if your mind is still hiking. I will be
listening to mine.

Medicare Pastor