[pct-l] Water Caches - Mason Valley Truck Trail

Joe McDougall long4trails at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 20:20:42 CDT 2008

I am chipping away at Sections A and E in day hikes of between 20 to 30 miles, and occasional overnighters.  I plan to hike from Mt. Laguna (43.0) to Scissors Crossing (78.0) with a car shuttle on 4/19.  I plan to do at least one water drop at or near Mason Valley Truck Trail.  My buddy and I will only need a couple gallons, but I am happy to cache many (say 10 or more).  I would be happy to cache water at both Mason Valley Truck Trail and Scissors Crossing.  My questions are as follows:
Does anyone know if I can get a stock 4x4 truck up the Mason Valley Truck Trail to the PCT to cache water?  Are there gates, or is it wide open?  Do you recommend any other location at or near the 63 mile mark?

I assume more water at the Scissors Crossing is welcome.

What is the preferred packaging: gallons, 2.5 gallon jugs, 5 gallons?
I appreciate any input you can provide.

Joe McDougall
(818) 398-0580