[pct-l] mountain lion sitings on the PCT?

Jim Ostdick palomino.pct at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 15:59:09 CDT 2008

Yesterday on a training hike in my local foothills I saw a young mountain
lion slink across the trail about 30 meters in front of me and disappear
into the oak trees. Pretty exciting stuff on a day hike close to home. That
reminded me of the only time I have seen a mountain lion near the PCT. I had
hitched a ride back to Buck's Summit with a good ole boy electrician from
Quincy. We were about a quarter of a mile from the trailhead when a big lion
bounded across the road and shot up the hillside in three effortless
leaps...it was the most athletic maneuver I have ever seen...this animal was
amazing in action, a four-legged combination of Michael Jordan and Muhammed
Ali. The driver put on the brakes and we sat there a minute speechless
before moving on. A few minutes after that we arrived at the trailhead and
it was time for me to get out. He said, "You carrying a pistol?" I said,
"Nope." He said, "Well, don't let him eat ya!" Then I was standing there
alone in the beautiful sudden silence. Walking north toward Belden, I guess
I should have been a little frightened, but I couldn't get the eternal smile
off my face.

Anybody else got a mountain lion story?

Palomino
San Juan Bautista, CA