[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 4, Issue 32

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Apr 6 20:56:11 CDT 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 2:14 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Bad Socks/Good Socks

I wear injini socks almost every day. I love them. I have probably 10
pairs of them. They have lasted me a long time just wearing as
regular socks and on day hikes. I have had some pairs for more than a
year. Only the merino wool ones are showing some need for darning and
they probably would have lasted much longer if I had never put them
in the dryer. Avoid the dryer whenever you can. That dryer lint is
your clothes disintegrating.

Also, the blend seems to last longer than the merino wool and
probably longer than the bamboo although the bamboo ones I have are
too new to say for sure.

I'm going to test out some home-made outer socks for them. I'm going
to take some old smartwool socks that have shrunk down to little kid
size and cut a slit across the top, affix a "thong" between the big
toe and the other toes to hold them in place, and wear them as outer
socks over the injini socks in my boots for added cushioning. I hope
it works.

I don't care if I have to keep mailing injini socks to myself. I love
my socks. I hounded my local shop until they started carrying them,
taking off my shoes every time I went there to show them my socks.

Diane