[pct-l] snow conditions on san jacinto

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Mon Apr 7 11:27:42 CDT 2008

I fly back and forth between Ontario (CA) and Phoenix quite often. The
flight path crosses the PCT just south of the 74 heading east, and on my
return flight, it passes right over the PCT/I-10 crossing.

On 3/19, there was much snow on the San J and San G peaks. Snow was also
accumulated as low as "One Horse Ridge", just south of Fuller at approx.
5,600 feet elevation. Snow was also clearly visible up the Mission Creek
Canyon just as low.

During Easter, I drove into Palm Springs. The snow had melted off One
Horse Ridge, but was still visible on Fuller Ridge. The snow along the
north face of San J and into Snow Creek was still heavy.

Last Friday, I flew over the area again, and the Desert Divide still had
patches of snow, with heavier coverage north of Fobes Saddle. I was on
the right side of the plane, so I couldn't see San J peak, but San G had
noticeably less coverage on the peak, with patches along the PCT at
approx. 6,000 feet.

Low temps in Big Bear have yet to clear 30 degrees, but warmer weather
is expected today and through the week.

Michael  Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE Studio, Inc. | Architecture
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.2700 | www.mve-studio.com