[pct-l] April 14th from campo

segimon castañer segimail1969 at yahoo.es
Mon Apr 7 13:22:35 CDT 2008

Thank you David.

Let´s say I make it to Kennedy Meadows by may 20th.
I know it´s early,and there is lots of snow this year,but do you think there will be other hikers I can team up with,wanting to hike to Donner Pass so early in the season?Would that be foolish?I know that when I get there I will have the answer but,shall I send the ice axe,crampons and gaters to K.Meadows?Or should I better already think about skipping the High Sierra section this year and spending my last three weeks in an easier weatherwise section(further north) of the trail?
By the way,do I need a bear canister before Donner Pass?
I fly back to Spain on june 18th,my last day on the trail should be june 15th.
My amount of ignorance about the trail is only comparable to how much I´m looking forward to walk it.

David Hough reading PCT-L <pctl at oakapple.net> escribió: If you do start the High Sierra from Kennedy Meadows before June 15, you will
probably want to carry a lightweight ice axe.    You won't need it before
Kennedy Meadows.    However, if you are going to end your hike by June 15
however far you get, you won't need a bear can.    Neither bears nor rangers
are likely to bother you that early with snow everywhere.

A lighter alternative is Ursack (ursack.com) which you could use throughout
your hike for protection from rodents, which might be anywhere, and to
a lesser degree from bears, though they are not approved for the High Sierra.