[pct-l] Making Soda Can Stoves @ the PCT

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Apr 7 19:14:04 CDT 2008

I designed the Pika stove and will be at the KO, but since I'm flying in
ultralight, I won't have my toolkit, pikas, or workshop to build any stoves.
I can give plenty of input and moral support to anyone willing to build
impromptu stoves there, tho the KO is for hikers ready to hit the PCT. Last
year I drove in, and several hikers showed up at my camp unannounced hearing
I built stoves. I mentioned, geez, I didn't plan on this or bring any
tools... However, I quickly built a Catstove with a pocket knife and
churchkey in my campsite, and gave away a few parts and fuel to get some
hikers out onto their trail adventure. I can't do that this year, but if
someone brings in some soda cans, knives, tools, church keys, cat food cans,
etc I could probably cobble up something for only a few desparate hikers
needing help. At the ADZ, most hikers should be ready to hit the trail! At
the hiker gatherings like the fall ALDHAwest, I have given a few indepth
quality stove workshops with one on one building sessions. The beauty and
simplicity of the Catstove, is that it can be built on trail by most any
hiker with very crude cheap tools, so it is worth checking out Trail Dad's
innovative stove design before hitting the trail and knowing that you can
build it yourself if needed..
~
http://royrobinson.homestead.com/   Much more info lies here, than just the
CatStove..
~
Kathleen Salmon wrote:
> Hello! I thought I read somewhere that there would be a soda-can
> stove workshop at the kickoff. I don't see it though on the event
> page. Will anyone be holding a workshop?

Here are detailed instructions for making one I designed:

http://scottbryce.com/yaas_stove/index.html

If you want one that is more fuel stingy, look here:

http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/pikastove/

Both of these are chimney style stoves, based on the Cat stove.