[pct-l] Making Soda Can Stoves @ the PCT

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Apr 8 12:26:39 CDT 2008

Deems wrote:

"At the ADZ, most hikers should be ready to hit the trail!"

Deems, you are so right, but alas, this is simply not the case.  Why show up
prepared, having already made the effort and done your homework and
preparation when you can have it all spoon fed to you before you start?

Many will say that the KO doesn't add to the number of hikers on the trail,
but I strongly disagree.  There are many who wouldn't make it out there more
than a few days if they didn't have the one-stop shopping and hand-holding
that the KO provides, and the guaranteed company of others who did do their
homework beforehand to lean upon.

There's a fine line between kindness and enabling. Over time I've developed
the opinion that if you haven't done your homework and preparation
(including training, practicing with/testing your gear) before you attempt a
2,650 mile wilderness hike across mountains and deserts, you simply don't
belong out there.  Cold-hearted?  Definitely.  But realistic.

L-Rod