[pct-l] question on marking boxes

Daniel Bailey greenhiker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:04:06 CDT 2008

Brian,

I've always addressed my packages as follows:

NAME ON IDENTIFICATION CARD
C/O GENERAL DELIVERY ETA MONTH/DAY
CITY, STATE, ZIP

Then I'd write "PLEASE HOLD FOR HIKER" on the same face in the lower left
hand corner.

You don't need to write the "PLEASE HOLD FOR HIKER" on all six faces of the
box.

Somebody else suggested decorating your box so that it stands out from the
others.  This is especially important in the smaller towns where a back
office may be packed full of packages for hikers.  Bright colors stand out
very well from the plain brown boxes or the USPS boxes available for flat
rate shipping.

Be well,

Senator
http://www.trailjournals.com/senator

Brian Lewis wrote:
A pretty trivial question --- on page 145 in the larger of Yogi's books it
says that at the bottom left corner of all boxes, one should write:

       Hold for PCT Hiker
       ETA: (date)

Do folks put that on the bottom left corner of all six sides of the box, or
just the top only, or the four sides only, or ... ?   It would be a little
tedious to write this out any more than is necessary.

Thanks!

       Brian Lewis