[pct-l] Equinox Ultra lite Bear Bag

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Wed Apr 9 12:22:14 CDT 2008

"Bears can easily get to hung food unless it is hung just right, and that
depends on just the right tree being found in just the right location."

I think this deserves some emphasis.  Given that a reasonable alternative
exists, bear bagging is IMO a real PITA, regardless of whether you buy a
neat kit like this one or just put together your own (a stuff sack, cord,
micro-beener and a little rock sack).

I live in a land of tall trees (WA state).  Even here it can take quite a
bit of wandering around to find a tree that has a limb that's strong enough,
tall enough, yet not too tall (have to be able to toss the rock over it),
doesn't have other limbs or vegetation in the way, isn't likely the bear can
push over, etc etc.   You're doing this at the end of a long day when you're
tired, perhaps the light is beginning to fade.    Then you miss your throw
and the cord snags somewhere.   You finally get the cord tossed over a high
limb about where you want it, you pull hard to raise your bag and the limb
cracks.  In the morning, you jiggle the cord to get the bag down but it's
stuck --- the cord has sawed into the limb and now your food is safe not
only from bears but from you.

In terms of effectiveness, I've seen a lot of instances of bear bagging
where the person sort of half-heartedly made a gesture of suspending the
food a ways off the ground, but in no way useful against bears.  It's human
nature.  You're tired, there are no easy + good trees anywhere near, so you
cut corners a bit. After a few days of this with no bad result it becomes
your normal process.   Until a bear comes and takes all of your food.

The normal process with an Ursack is much, much easier and deterministic.

	Brian Lewis