[pct-l] last-minute adjustments

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Wed Apr 9 17:58:55 CDT 2008

Hello from a longtime list lurker.

I know at least a few members of the Class of 2008 must be feeling a
little wound-up right about now. All the heavy lifting is done. And
now you're just a bundle of nerves waiting to ship out to Campo.

Well, here are some small things to eat up some of that nervous energy:

1) Get a pair of earplugs. You might not think you'll need them. But
the wind in the desert, the snoring guy in the next tent, etc ...

2) Get a headnet for your KM bouncebox. You have Deet? Great. But you
*don't* want Deet on your face.

3) Get a small sheet of postcard stamps. It'll save a lot of time and
hassle in trail towns.

4) Get a bunch of tiny (.5 oz) Purell hand sanitizers. Seriously.
It's the cheapest trip insurance you'll ever buy. It's amazing to me,
considering how many people have their trips disrupted by gastro
problems, that folks will treat water and then not bother to
disinfect their hands.

5) Put your name, address and phone number on your poles. They all
look alike. It'll increase the chance that they eventually get back
to you when you forget them in the back of that hitch car.

6) On your telephone list, clearly mark who's your emergency contact
and if that person has the power of attorney for medical decisions
(ie: a parent or spouse)

7) laminate your thru permit and ca fire permit. You better expect
things are going to get soaked at least once on your journey.

8) Get a garbage bag. For inside your pack. Again, cheap, cheap insurance.

Best of luck to the class of 2008. I'll see you out there.

David Plotnikoff