[pct-l] The Vintage PCT Routes #7

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Wed Apr 9 19:49:00 CDT 2008

I've learned to truly appreciate the current PCT supertrail route that has
been hiked in 79 days from Mex2Can, you have to hike some of the vintage
early trail routes that defined the PCT from the 1930s to today. The
Washington Cascade Crest Trail, the Oregon Skyline Trail, the 1968
Congressional route for the PCT, the early JMT sections, and the endless
California road routes and obscure sections of the 1970s. Whenever I plan a
section or trip onto the PCT, I study my vintage guide books and maps to
know where the early PCT was built vs the current route, and if I'm doing a
loop or yoyo section, I'll hike them both. It helps to increase the
adventure, diversity, and appreciation for the PCT route that has been
evolving for many decades. The flexible route of the CDT today is very
similar to the vintage PCT routes. Keep your mind open and be ready when you
see that old faint tree blaze to know where/when to walk down Girard Ridge's
ridgeline to Castella, or follow the old ghost hikers down the Russian creek
valley to the North Fk of the Salmon River and up the Right Hand Fork to
Wilson Cabin. I've read several 1970s journals, and follow them closely on
my maps, enjoying their adventure along PCT sections no longer considered
official.  Most times, I find my style of hiking meshes best with the Old
PCT, but I do enjoy cruising along the current supertrail.
~~
Anyone else still hiking the Old PCT routes for vintage pleasure, history,
and adventure today?
~~~
Great lessons learned. Thanks for sharing, Beeman.

I had to smile when I saw #7. We used to *hate* the gentle grade of newly
constructed PCT because it was frustratingly slow to get anywhere. When
possible, we'd take the original trail, which would zip directly up (or
down) to the desired point instead of taking us along several mile-long
switchbacks. In my PCT slide presentation, I had some pictures of old vs.
new and a bit about how much we preferred the old trail. (This bit also
included some digs at the construction crews who apparently liked to blast
any boulder or saw down any tree within 10 feet of the trail.)

Kelty Kid