[pct-l] Holcomb creek questions & detour

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 00:35:10 CDT 2008

Jim and AsABat are correct and I can comment on the H20 situation.  Through June you should have no problems on 2N09 and 3n16  - you are following Holcomb creek for away and Xing 3-4 tributaries.  HItchcock Springs is very reliable and is near the intersection of 3n16 and 3n08.  From Hitchcock Springs to where the reroute hits the PCT again is a little drier but right in the middle is GreenLead Creek which was wet even in the drought of a few years ago.  Big Pine Camp Ground had spigoted water before the fire,  And then you cross a few tributaries of Holcomb on the return to the PCT.  So through the end of June, there should be no H20 access problems.

  This report is from my pre-fire knowledge but should be fairly reliable.  My guess is that some might be willing to stay on the PCT and risk the consequences.

  SB

  SB
enyapjr at comcast.net wrote:
  Regarding Holcomb Creek:

See for map of the closure area (as AsABat pointed out!)...

The temp reroute (for a nobo) is Road 2N09 (turn right from PCT) to 3N16 (turn left from 2N09), follow 3N16 until the PCT crosses it again... PCT trail miles affected is approximately 14 miles... A very quick trace of the road walk using NG TOPO! software is approximately 15 miles (not sure where you got the "30 miles" from) - not too much additional mileage added for a reroute, IMHO...

If you have questions, call the Big Bear Ranger Station/Discovery Center, (909) 382-2790... Office hours are 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM; they are CLOSED Wednesdays and Thursdays (!)...

Hope that helps! Happy trails!!!
Jim