[pct-l] Big snow melt on the way

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 15:20:58 CDT 2008

Thanks for that link Scott. Quoting:

> IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON CAMPING NEAR STREAMS...REMEMBER THAT THE
> HIGHEST WATER LEVELS OCCUR AT NIGHT...USUALLY WITHIN AN HOUR OR
> TWO EITHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT. A CAMPGROUND MAY LOOK PERFECTLY DRY
> AND SAFE IN THE LATE AFTERNOON...BUT CAN QUICKLY TAKE ON WATER AT
> NIGHT.

(Sorry for the shouting, but it's not me!)

While the advice is basically sound, I wonder how they can say with such
precision when the highest water level is. That depends on how far
downstream you are from the melt surge, no? Of course, NWS has a habit of
making precise predictions -- which often turn out to be wrong!