[pct-l] ATMs and Banks

Paul paul_c at tuxcnc.org
Fri Apr 11 11:30:20 CDT 2008

Hi Rachel

On Friday 11 April 2008, Rachel Sedman wrote:
> My husband and I are coming over from the UK this summer to hike and I have
> a question regarding access to cash.

The US dollar is pretty worthless at the moment, so for us Brits, it is a good
time to visit ;-)

> We'll have a Visa credit card and was planning on getting cash out at
> re-supply points.
> I'm thinking anywhere we stay for the night would take cards, but what
> about shops/resort where we might just buy food, or post offices?
>  Can anyone suggest how much of our expenditure might we be able to put on
> credit card?

Motels and most large stores take plastic, as do many restaurants. Petrol
stations are like most of the ones over here and like plastic..

> For cash, do most of the towns have ATMs? (sorry if that is a really stupid
> question, but we have absolutely no idea what to expect!)
> Or might it be better to carry Travellers Cheques and change them at banks?

Getting cash from an ATM with a credit card will be expensive - Visa will
charge interest from the moment of withdrawal to the time of repayment.
Travellers cheques are accepted just about anywhere and can be treated the
same as cash, so you don't need to visit a bank to change them.

> Would be grateful if anyone would like to advise.

As a (ir)regular visitor to the States, I've nearly always taken cash - The
exchange rate offered by the credit card companies is variable and you are at
the mercy of the rate of the hour.

If you are worried about carrying large amounts of cash, split it between the
two of you and keep the bulk in concealed body belts.

Regards, Paul.