[pct-l] ATMs and Banks

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Fri Apr 11 11:40:52 CDT 2008

On Apr 11, 2008, at 12:30 PM, Paul wrote:
> Travellers cheques are accepted just about anywhere and can be
> treated the
> same as cash, so you don't need to visit a bank to change them.

Actually, I've seen lots of blank stares over
the last few years with regard to traveller's
checks.  Especially at small businesses.  They
just aren't used all that much these days having
been replaced by ATM's and cash.

> As a (ir)regular visitor to the States, I've nearly always taken
> cash - The
> exchange rate offered by the credit card companies is variable and
> you are at
> the mercy of the rate of the hour.
>
> If you are worried about carrying large amounts of cash, split it
> between the
> two of you and keep the bulk in concealed body belts.

Carrying enough cash to cover two people on a 4-5 month
thru-hike doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  If nothing
else, think of the extra weight!

I would think that your regular bank ATM card or debit
card would work just about anywhere a credit card would
work.  At the post office you can get up to $50 back in
cash if you purchase something (stamps, box, etc.). Some
of the smaller post offices might limit this though.

I would just check with your local bank regarding ATM
usage in the states.

Yogi's handbook generally lists ATM availability for all
the town stops.

Radar