[pct-l] altitude

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Fri Apr 11 15:47:09 CDT 2008

My typical response to hiking at "altitude" (I would define it as
starting a few thousand feet lower than 10,000'.) is tiredness or
lack of energy or slower walking speed.  I also often have a headache
the first day or evening, and maybe slight nausea. All the symptoms
seem to disappear after two or three days. Then, I am good to go over
the high passes, etc. The first trip of the summer to altitude is
always the toughest. I think this is typical, but people are
different and their symptoms or their intensity or the
acclimatization time appear to vary. I have also known people to get
pulmonary edema and have to go to lower elevation immediately to get
rid of it. I have a good friend that this happened to once, although
he had been hiking in the Sierra dozens of times previously without
incidence. He also went back many times afterwards without incidence.

Pieces