[pct-l] Living off the land

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 14:32:56 CDT 2008

We had a kid show up here in Skykomish with no food or clothing other than
what he was wearing. Had a thin sleeping bag. He was a (young)
survivalist......at least so he thought. He was meeting a new friend and was
planning on hiking north to Manning park by living off the land and sleeping
under the stars. He ended up being educated and supplied by the time he left
here. For all the thousands of hikers who have gone before.........they have
tried it all. The best advice is on this site and in various books. This
hike will be a big test. It might be wise to study what others have tried
before you do something extreme like living off the land. There's not enough
calories in that type of food. Hikers loose anywhere from 15 to 75 pounds on
a hike. Most of them eat an extreme amount of calories in a day.

PCT MOM