[pct-l] SPOT Locator

arm chair armchairhiker at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 00:13:56 CDT 2008

The other possibility is sat phone, but I found this:

I've always recommended Iridium over GlobalStar, just because they have
always had better coverage worldwide and better, if not great, customer
service. I can't claim any inside knowledge, but every once in a while I
call it right by accident.

Having said all that, *I would never bet my life on a sat phone connection*.
They are great when they work, but a 406 MHz distress beacon is a lot more
reliable. Too many times I have been in situations when the sat phone should
have worked, no problem, but didn't.
http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=55

Also a review of the spot:

first review -