[pct-l] Additional Idyllwild stuff

robo hiker robohiker at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 13 16:20:04 CDT 2008

thanks len. looks beautiful, can't wait!> Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:04:04 -0700> From: len5742 at gmail.com> To: pct-l at backcountry.net> Subject: [pct-l] Additional Idyllwild stuff> > Pictures here:> > http://picasaweb.google.com/len5742/Idyllwild> > I will be putting these pictures and more, in my TJ. Eventually.> > Would someone clarify for me what peaks are just to the 'left' or east> of Tahquitz Peak? I was thinking Red Tahquitz but the peaks in the> picture seem farther away to me. (I am exposing my tentative> map-reading skills, yikes!)> > Not quite as scary in pictures as it was up close and personal in some> places. But then I wasn't thinking about taking pictures at those> places. The heat wave is currently hitting Idyllwild and with 4+> weeks before I should get there, I expect the snow situation will> have changed significantly. Though my potty trowel seems to be> ineffective, I will carry it anyway, and see if it works as a talisman> to warn away the evil snow spirits.> > FWIW, IMO Comments.> > If you go down Devil's Slide, there are a half-dozen or so downed> trees that seemed to me to force cutting a switchback. Hoping that it> is cleaned up soon. Also there is a switchback that is REALLY sharp> and easy to miss, especially going up. But then there are some like> that on most every trail I guess.> > IF I had no other considerations, I'd come into Idyllwild via the Deer> Springs Trail rather than Devil's Slide, especially if coming SOBO.> Devils Slide is shorter but leaves you with a two-mile roadwalk> through residential. Deer Springs comes out a half mile from the main> town. I'd just as soon road walk as little as possible. Be sure if> you do this you cross to the other side of 243 where there is decent> shoulder room.> > Now having endorsed a bit of a walk on 243, let me say that if you are> going to go around Fuller Ridge and pick up the trail again at BM> Road, REALLY try to avoid the road walk on 243. That will likely be 8> nerve-wracking miles, as there is virtually no shoulder in some> places. There is a lot of traffic. If hitching, important to> position yourself where someone can turn out easily.> > Almost cracked a tooth on the uncooked rice that came with my tacos at> JoAnn's. Had a so-so burger at the Lumber Mill bar/grill. But I had> a strawberry shake there that was pretty big, very thick (had a hard> time getting through a straw) and actually had strawberries in it.> Pretty tasty in a heat wave.> > My ATT cell phone could ring another party at the north end Fuller> Ridge, so you might want to call from there and say you made it, or> maybe adjust your life insurance coverage.> _______________________________________________> Pct-l mailing list> Pct-l at backcountry.net> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l