[pct-l] Mt Whitney

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Apr 14 09:03:14 CDT 2008

When I asked the PCTA that last year, I was told that I did not need a Mt Whitney endorsement on my thru-hiker permit unless I was planning to enter the Whitney Zone (defined as the area from Trail Crest to Whitney Portal). Trail Crest is south of the JMT/Whitney trail junction, and you go north at that point, so you'll never get to Trail Crest.

I was told that if I just detour to climb Whitney and return to the PCT, no extra permit was needed.

I was told to expect to find rangers stationed at both Trail Crest and atop Whitney.

Wandering Bob